World Emoji Day
Yesterday, July 17, 2015 was World Emoji Day! Back in 1999, Shigetaka Kurita created the first texting emoticons in Japan. To celebrate this day of electronic communication breakthrough, a preview of 38 new emoji’s for for 2016 have been released.
According to Yahoo News these will be the new additions:
1. Bacon 2. Avocado 3. Drooling face 4. Handshake
5. Clinking glasses 6. Croissant 7. Cucumber 8. Nauseous face
9. Shrug 10. Selfie 11. Left-facing fist 12. Duck
13. Face palm 14. Shark 15. Right-facing fist 16. Fox
17. Pregnant woman 18. Prince 19. Crossed fingers 20. Motor scooter
21. Man dancing 22. Man in tuxedo 23. Cowboy 24. Black Heart
25. ROFL 26. Lying face 27. Wilted flower 28. Eagle
29. “Call me” hand 30. Owl 31. Potato 32. Bat
33. Back of hand 34. Carrot 35. Mrs. Claus 36. Scooter
37. Octagon 38. Clown
Last year, USATODAY had Jerry Mosemak design six emojis based on what their readers described as their “dream emoji.” These included bacon, a chef giraffe, Canadian flag and hockey puck, selfie, Batman, and the USATODAY logo.
Did you know that the first set of 172 12×12 pixel emoji was created as part of i-mode mobile internet’s messaging features to help facilitate electronic communication, and to serve as a distinguishing feature from other services? Now today people have full conversations with just emoji’s; Buzzfeed makes quizzes asking you to guess the movie or the song by just emojis; you can even wear emojis on a t-shirt.
I sometimes find myself disappointed as I’m looking through these little emojis, searching for the perfect one to describe what I am trying to express, only to be let down when it isn’t there. Hopefully these new additions will leave my future texts satisfactory.